Modifying a recipe is a great way to make a recipe meet your specific dietary needs.
If you are using the mobile app, you will follow the steps below. If you are using the website, please click here.
Select a recipe
- Open the Recipe Box
- If the recipe does not meet your current dietary restrictions, uncheck the My Diet filter to view all of the recipes in the Recipe Box
- Open the recipe card you want to modify
- Click the ... in the upper right corner
- Select Modify
Edit the recipe card
- Update the image
- Change the recipe title, if needed
- Change the number of servings a recipe makes*
- Change the active or total time
- Edit the list of ingredients, as necessary to meet your needs
- For example, omit garlic powder in the recipe above by deleting the ingredient in the list, or change ground pork to ground turkey if you don't eat pork
- Pro tip: Remember that not all substitutions are equal. For example, you cannot substitute 1 cup of almond flour for 1 cup of wheat flour, so you will want to make sure your substitutions are accurate before modifying the ingredient list.
- Edit the cooking instructions, as necessary
- Other modifications that can be made to the recipe card include:
- Change the seasons when you want the recipe scheduled
- Change the Diet Type, as needed, to match the modifications you made
- Change the course
- Change the main ingredient
- Identify a specific cuisine
- Add new tags
- Click the + and select the desired tags
- Add a serve with (side dish) suggestion to the recipe
- Add a note about the recipe
- Modify the recipe URL, if needed
- Add or edit timeline instructions
- Click Save Changes
- Confirm ingredients, when changes were made to the ingredient list
*Note: You may consider changing the number of servings if you find that the number of servings the recipe specifies does not match the amount of food it makes for your family. For example, if you made a recipe that serves 4, but you found it fed your family of 4 and you still had leftovers, you might want to change the number of servings on the recipe card. Changing the number of servings here will not change the measurements in the ingredient list automatically. This modification to the recipe can be compared to opening a cookbook and crossing out "Serves 4" and writing in "Serves 6".
Revert back to the original recipe
Modifications you make to the recipe card using this method change the original recipe. These recipes will now be located under the Origin: Real Plans-(modified).
To convert the recipe back to the original version you will need to log in through the website. Reverting a recipe to it's original form is not available in the app.
- Log in through the website
- Open the recipe card from the Recipe Box
- Click Actions
- Choose Revert
If you need assistance, please send us an email at support(at)realplans.com.